Sunday 1 February 2009
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Just Dance by Lady GaGa.
He's Just Not That Into You, directed by Ken Kwapis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Freedom Watch with Judge Napolitano.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Aqua Moto Racing or Arcade Hoops Basketball.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 2009!
Which were the important events of 1 February 2009 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 February
- In Tampa, Florida, the NFL's SuperBowl XLII game is played. The Pittsburgh Steelers win their record sixth Super Bowl by defeating the Arizona Cardinals. Santonio Holmes is named the game's most valuable player.
- Johanna Sigur?ardottir is chosen the first female Prime Minister of Iceland, becoming the first openly gay head of government in the modern world.
- The wreck of the British warship HMS ''Victory'' is discovered in the English Channel. (''The Melbourne Age'')
- Four people are killed in a café shooting in Russia's Dagestan Republic. (Reuters via IHT)
- Rafael Nadal of Spain defeats Roger Federer of Switzerland to win the 2009 Australian Open men's singles. (AP via Google News)
- Japan Airlines conducts the first successful test flight of a Boeing 747-300 partly powered by biofuel. (Sky News Australia)
- Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip fire four rockets and sixteen mortar shells into Israel's Negev region. (Haaretz)
- The Japan Meteorological Agency warns that Honshū Island's Mount Asama could erupt within the next two days. (Reuters)
- The Sri Lankan Army bombs a hospital in Puthukkudiyiruppu twice, killing at least six Tamil civilians and wounding countless more patients. (AP)
- France defeats Croatia to win the Men's World Handball Championship. (Croatia 2009)
- The International Cospas-Sarsat Satellite System ceases monitoring for 121.5 MHz and 243 MHz (Class B) signals from distress radiobeacons. Cospas-Sarsat Phase-Out of 121.5/243 MHz Alerting Services
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?