Wednesday 2 October 1968
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Hey Jude by The Beatles.
Finian's Rainbow, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1968.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 1968!
Which were the important events of 2 October 1968 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
- Craig Kanada: Portland, Oregon -- Nike golfer (1994 NIKE SC Classic-3rd).
- Mark James Crear: San Francisco, California -- 110m hurdler (1996 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Jana Novotna: Brno, Czechoslovakia -- Tennis star (1995 Aust / Wimbledon doubles).
- Tlatelolco Massacre: Also known as the Night of Tlatelolco (from a book title by the Mexican writer Elena Poniatowska), was a killing of an estimated 30 to 300 students and civilians by military and police on October 2, 1968, in the Plaza de las Tres Culturas in the Tlatelolco section of Mexico City.
- Victoria Derbyshire: English journalist and radio host.
- Benjie Paras: Filipino basketball player and actor
- Jeff Martin: Canadian singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (The Tea Party and Jeff Martin 777)
- Jana Novotná: Czech tennis player and sportscaster
- Glen Wesley: Red Deer, Alberta -- NHL defenseman (Hartford Whalers)
- Kelly Willis: American singer-songwriter and guitarist
- Lucy Cohu: English actress
- Marcel Duchamp: French artist best known for his irreverent work and enigmatic persona.
- 1st London performance of Promises Promises presented
- 1st time, 2 soon-to-be-named MVPs oppose each other Cards Bob Gibson beat Tigers Denny McLain 4-0
- Mexico City police fire on protesting students, 300-500 killed
- Republic Guinea forms (Day of the Republic)
- Bob Gibson sets a World Series record of 17 strikeouts (World Series #65).
- A peaceful student demonstration in Mexico City culminates in the Tlatelolco massacre.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Hey Jude
- Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A.
- The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - Fire
- O.C. Smith - Little Green Apples
- The O'Kaysions - Girl Watcher
- Clarence Carter - Slip Away
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- The Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get A Message To You
- The 1910 Fruitgum Company - 1,2,3 Red Light
- Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?