Sunday 8 July 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Ice Age: Continental Drift, directed by Steve Martino, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 8 July 2012 ?
- Annual Soapy Smith wake, held each year in Skagway, Alaska in the Gold Rush Cemetery and in Hollywood, California at the Magic Castle
- Feast day of Saint Kilian
- Feast day of Saint Grimbald
- Syrian uprising (2011–present):
- United Nations and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan arrives in the Syrian capital Damascus for talks. (Al Jazeera)
- In an interview for German TV, Syrian President Bashar Assad states that the US is trying to destabilise Syria by providing political protection for ampquotgangsampquot, and that Saudi Arabia and Qatar were arming ampquotterroristsampquot in Syria. (BBC)
- Nigeria violence:
- Gunmen attack Christian villages in northern Nigeria, killing dozens of people. (''Daily Times Nigeria'')
- Two politicians are killed at a funeral for some of the victims of the violence. (BBC)
- Rebels from the March 23 Movement seize three more towns in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. (AFP via Google News)
- A roadside bomb kills six NATO soldiers in eastern Afghanistan. (Reuters)
- The Saudi Ministry of Interior reports that a prominent Shi'ite Muslim cleric, Sheikh Nimr al Nimr, is arrested in the Qatif region of the Eastern Province after being shot in the leg by police in an exchange of fire. (Reuters)
- American actor Ernest Borgnine, winner of an Academy Award in the film ''Marty'', dies at the age of 95. (CBS News)
- The President of Russia Vladimir Putin orders an inquiry into flash floods that have claimed at least 150 lives in the Krasnodar region. (CNN)
- Anti-China protests take place in Vietnam amid tensions over the disputed Spratly Islands part of the South China Sea dispute. (''China Post'')
- Taliban gunmen shoot a woman accused of adultery to death while men watching the execution cheer, in a village near Kabul, Afghanistan. (CNN)
- In two separate incidents in the current U.S. heat wave involving two different vehicles, both in the Greater Indianapolis area, a baby girl dies in Greenfield, Indiana (in the east of the area), and a toddler from Fishers, Indiana (in the northeast of the area) is left in critical condition after being left in overheated vehicles by their parent caretakers (the internal temperature in one was at 124° F (51° C) both have been charged with felony child neglect resulting in death. (MSNBC)
- Tens of thousands of people demonstrate in Mexico City over alleged vote buying in the country's presidential election, which saw Enrique Peña Nieto elected. (''The Guardian'')
- In tennis, Roger Federer of Switzerland defeats Andy Murray of the United Kingdom three sets to one at the men's singles final of the 2012 Wimbledon Championships in England. (ESPN)
- In mixed martial arts, the UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva, retains his belt after defeating Chael Sonnen via TKO in the second round on UFC 148. (''USA Today'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?