Friday 9 January 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) by Beyonce.
Mary and Max, directed by Adam Elliot, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 2009!
Which were the important events of 9 January 2009 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 January
- Rob Gauntlett, the youngest Briton to have climbed Mount Everest died whilst climbing in the French Alps
- Israel and Hamas ignore the United Nations Security Council's call for a ceasefire in the conflict in the Gaza Strip. (UNNewsCentre)
- India faces a major shortage of petroleum products as a strike by employees of the Indian Oil Corporation and 14 other PSUs enters its third day. (CNN-IBN)
- The House of Representatives of the U.S. state of Illinois votes 114–1 to impeach embattled Governor Rod Blagojevich. (CNN)
- A 6.1-magnitude earthquake in northern Costa Rica kills 15 people and injures 32. (CNN)
- Piracy in Somalia:
- The MV ''Sirius Star'', a supertanker seized in the world's largest hijacking, is released with of oil and all 25 crew members unharmed after a US$3 million ransom is paid. (Guardian)
- The Iranian-chartered wheat-carrying vessel MV ''Desire'' is released with 25 crew members unharmed. (Xinhua)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 January 2009 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?