Monday 26 January 2009
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Just Dance by Lady GaGa.
Taken, directed by Pierre Morel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 January 2009!
Which were the important events of 26 January 2009 ?
- Roman Empire - third day of the Sementivae in honor of Ceres and Terra.
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Timothy and Titus
- Saint Paula
- Saint Alberic
- Margaret of Hungary
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Uganda - Liberation Day.
- India - Republic Day - One of only three state holidays in India, celebrated with pomp and a military parade in New Delhi.
- International Customs Day.
- Australia - Australia Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 26 January
- The world's largest drug company, Pfizer of New York, announces it will acquire rival Wyeth for US$68 billion.
- Rioting breaks out in Antananarivo, Madagascar, sparking a political crisis that will result in the replacement of President Marc Ravalomanana with Andry Rajoelina.
- The United States Senate confirms Timothy F. Geithner as Secretary of the Treasury. (''The New York Times'')
- 2008–2009 Israel–Gaza conflict:
- An Israeli soldier is killed and three others injured in a bombing at the Gaza Strip border. (BBC)
- Nine youths are arrested for alleged nationalist attacks on Arabs in Upper Nazareth. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- Icelandic Prime Minister Geir Haarde announces the collapse of his coalition government in the wake of the country's financial crisis. (BBC)
- A gunman kills two people and injures seven others in Portland, Oregon, before shooting and critically wounding himself. (Sky News)
- Forty people are killed when a riverboat sinks in central Vietnam. (CNN)
- A state of emergency is declared in Coatesville, Pennsylvania, following a series of arson attacks. (''USA Today'')
- A set of human octuplets are born alive for the second time in the United States. (''Los Angeles Times'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 26 January 2009 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?