Friday 14 January 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Graham Vivian Marsh in Kalgoorlie and Pierre Blanc.
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, directed by Arthur Lubin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching At Home.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 January 1944!
Which were the important events of 14 January 1944 ?
- Day of St. Basil the Great in Eastern Orthodoxy, January 1 on the Julian Calendar.
- Feast of Divina Pastora, in Barquisimeto, Venezuela.
- Makar Sankranti in India. The event is marked by flying kites. Also Pongal in South India.
- New Year's Day in Eastern Orthodoxy, see Julian Calendar.
- Festum Asinorum, medieval burlesque festival celebrating the Flight into Egypt.
- Graham Vivian Marsh in Kalgoorlie: Australia; PGA golfer (1977 Heritage).
- Pierre Blanc: French restaurateur.
- Jacques Bouriez: French business executive, the president of Louis Delhaize, a retail group based in Belgium which manages food supermarkets and hypermarkets.
- Marjoe Gortner: American youthful evangelist who, from the time he was an adolescent, toured and preached the Bible Belt for 15 years.
- Uschi Nerke: German architect and TV presenter.
- Mohammed Emin Yurdakul: Turkish poet, dies at about age 74.
- Soviet army begins offensive at Oranienbaum / Wolchow
- WWII: Soviet troops start the offensive at Leningrad and Novgorod.
- WWII: The 27th Polish Home Army Infantry Division is re-created, marking the start of Operation Tempest by the Polish Home Army.
- An earthquake hits San Juan, Argentina, killing an estimated 10,000 people in the worst natural disaster in Argentina's history.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1944 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Star Eyes - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- My Ideal - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- Speak Low (When You Speak, Love) - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
- Victory Polka - Bing Crosby & Andrews Sisters
- Kay Armen - The Dreamer
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?