Tuesday 11 January 1944
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, directed by Arthur Lubin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 January 1944!
Which were the important events of 11 January 1944 ?
- Morocco - The Independence manifesto day.
- Japan - Kagami-Biraki (Rice Cakes Festival).
- Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.
- Roman Empire - First day of Carmentalia in honor of Carmenta.
- Nepal - Unity Day.
- Albania - Republic Day (1946).
- York Georg Holler: Composer.
- Mohammed Abdul-Hayy: Sudanese poet and academic (d. 1989).
- Shibu Soren: Indian politician 3rd Chief Minister of Jharkhand.
- Mohammed Abed Elhai: Sudanese writer and academic (d. 1989).
- Mary Sullivan: American homicide victim, long believed to be the last victim of Boston Strangler Albert DeSalvo.
- Crakow-Plaszow Concentration Camp established.
- US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposes a Second Bill of Rights for social and economic security in his State of the Union address
- Kraków-Płaszów concentration camp established.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1944 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Star Eyes - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- My Ideal - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- Speak Low (When You Speak, Love) - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
- Victory Polka - Bing Crosby & Andrews Sisters
- Kay Armen - The Dreamer
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 11 January 1944 and get them!