Sunday 9 January 1944
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, directed by Arthur Lubin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1944!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1944 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Jimmy Page: British musician, a guitarist and the driving force behind the group Led Zeppelin, along with Robert Plant.
- Harun Farocki: German filmmaker (d. 2014).
- Mihalis Violaris: Cypriot singer-songwriter and actor.
- Scott Engel: vocalist (Walker Brothers - "Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore").
- Ian Hornak: American painter, draughtsman and sculptor (d. 2002).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1944 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Star Eyes - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- My Ideal - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- Speak Low (When You Speak, Love) - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
- Victory Polka - Bing Crosby & Andrews Sisters
- Kay Armen - The Dreamer
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?