Saturday 24 August 1963
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Luciene Adami and Hideo Kojima.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Fingertips - Pt 2 by Little Stevie Wonder.
In UK Sweets For My Sweet by The Searchers was in the top 5 hits.
Stray Dog, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while City Of Night by John Rechy was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ready, Steady, Go!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1963.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 1963!
Which were the important events of 24 August 1963 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- Luciene Adami: Brazilian television actress known for her mystical look.
- Hideo Kojima: Japanese video game director.
- Francis Pangilinan: Filipino lawyer and politician.
- John Bush: American singer-songwriter (Anthrax and Armored Saint).
- 1st 200 meter freestyle swum under 2 minutes (Don Schollander 1:58)
- Don Schollander swims the 200-metre freestyle in less than 2 minutes for the first time, in a world record time of 1:58.
- Buddhist crisis: As a result of the Xa Loi Pagoda raids, the US State Department cables the US Embassy in Saigon to encourage Army of the Republic of Vietnam generals to launch a coup against President Ngo Dinh Diem if he did not remove his brother Ngo Dinh Nhu.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Little Stevie Wonder - Fingertips - Pt 2
- Allan Sherman - Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)
- The Four Seasons - Candy Girl
- The Angels - My Boyfriend's Back
- Lesley Gore - Judy's Turn To Cry
- Peter, Paul & Mary - Blowin' In The Wind
- The Surfaris - Wipe Out
- Kai Winding & Orchestra - More
- Elvis Presley - (You're The) Devil In Disguise
- Randy and the Rainbows - Denise
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?