Sunday 18 August 1963
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Luiz Mattar and Rebecca Bardoux.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Fingertips - Pt 2 by Little Stevie Wonder.
In UK Sweets For My Sweet by The Searchers was in the top 5 hits.
A Ticklish Affair, directed by George Sidney, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while City Of Night by John Rechy was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ready, Steady, Go!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 August 1963!
Which were the important events of 18 August 1963 ?
- RC saints - Saint Helena of Constantinople,Saint Alberto Hurtado
- Buhe in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
- Luiz Mattar: Brazil -- Tennis star.
- Rebecca Bardoux: American pornographic actress.
- Heino Ferch: German actor.
- Clifford Odets: American playwright, actor, director and artist.
- James Meredith becomes 1st black graduate from University of Mississippi
- Mickey Wright wins LPGA Albuquerque Swing Parade Golf Tournament
- American civil rights movement: James Meredith becomes the first black person to graduate from the University of Mississippi.
- Xa Loi Pagoda raids: The Army of the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces loyal to Ngo Dinh Nhu, brother of President Ngo Dinh Diem, vandalise Buddhist pagodas across the country, arresting thousands and leaving an estimated hundreds dead.
- Cable 243: In the wake of the Xa Loi Pagoda raids, the Kennedy administration orders the US Embassy, Saigon to explore alternative leadership in South Vietnam, opening the way towards a coup against Diem.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 18 August 1963
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Little Stevie Wonder - Fingertips - Pt 2
- Peter, Paul & Mary - Blowin' In The Wind
- Elvis Presley - (You're The) Devil In Disguise
- The Surfaris - Wipe Out
- Lesley Gore - Judy's Turn To Cry
- The Four Seasons - Candy Girl
- Allan Sherman - Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)
- The Tymes - So Much In Love
- Kai Winding & Orchestra - More
- The Angels - My Boyfriend's Back
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?