Sunday 25 March 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to We Are Young by Fun..
The Intouchables, directed by Olivier Nakache, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 2012!
Which were the important events of 25 March 2012 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 25 March
- Syrian uprising:
- At least 48 people are reported killed across Syria as US President Barack Obama and Turkish Prime Minister Erdoğan hold talks about a process for transitioning to a ampquotlegitimate governmentampquot. (CNN)
- Syrian armed forces continue to bombard the city of Homs, and rebels attack a military base near the capital Damascus. (News24)
- 2012 insurgency in northern Mali: Tuareg insurgents close in on multiple northern towns where they say they will apply Islamic sharia law. (News 24)
- A roadside bomb in southern Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, detonates on a joint Afghan-NATO convoy killing six Afghan police, one U.S. soldier, and one translator. (CNN)
- Kandahar massacre: The United States pays the Afghanistan government $50,000 for every person murdered during the Kandahar massacre. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- Kofi Annan and a special UN peace envoy meet with President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev to discuss adopting a harder stance on Syria and Bashar al-Assad. (BBC)
- French prosecutors charge the brother of the gunman Mohammed Merah with complicity in the murders and conspiracy to commit acts of terrorism with regards to the killings of three French paratroopers, a rabbi and three children in Toulouse. (CNN)
- A student is shot dead on the Mississippi State University campus in the United States, prompting school-wide alerts. Three suspects escape in a blue Ford Crown Victoria. (''Jackson Clarion Ledger'')
- Peter Cruddas resigns as treasurer of Britain's Conservative Party after he was filmed selling access to Prime Minister David Cameron for £250,000. (''The Guardian'')
- New Zealand changes two road rules regarding priority at intersections, including reversing the drive-on-the-left nation's unique rule that gave right-turning traffic priority over left-turning traffic. (TV New Zealand)
- Leung Chun-ying is projected as the winner of the election to be Chief Executive of Hong Kong. (Bloomberg)
- Voters in Senegal go to the polls for a runoff in the presidential election with reports indicating that challenger Macky Sall has defeated incumbent Abdoulaye Wade. (Voice of America)
- In golf, Tiger Woods wins the Arnold Palmer Invitational tournament in Orlando, his first US PGA Tour victory since 2009. (AP via ''Silicon Vally Mercury'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?