Thursday 29 March 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to We Are Young by Fun..
The Intouchables, directed by Olivier Nakache, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 March 2012!
Which were the important events of 29 March 2012 ?
- St. Bertold (d.1179)
- Blessed Hugo (d.1239)
- St. Ludolf of Ratzeburg (d.1250)
- St. Eustace
- Memorial day and commemoration of the 1947 revolt against French colonisation in Madagascar
- Youth Day in Taiwan
- Festival of Ishtar.
- St. Jonas (d. 327)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 March
- The death is announced of award-winning poet, essayist and public intellectual Adrienne Rich, credited with bringing the oppression of women and lesbians to the forefront of poetic discourse. (''The Guardian'')
- Workers in Spain commence a general strike over government austerity measures. (BBC)
- Queues form at petrol stations across the United Kingdom after government ministers urged motorists to top up their fuel tanks ahead of a possible strike by fuel tanker drivers. (''The Guardian'')
- Smart phone pioneer Research in Motion announces major shake-ups in executive ranks and a strategic review in its earnings report. (Reuters)
- At least 13 people are killed at the San Pedro Sula prison in Honduras. (BBC)
- The leaders of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa meet in New Delhi, India, for the 2012 BRICS summit. (Reuters)
- Two Italians set themselves on fire in Bologna and Verona. (''Indian Express'')
- Police in Ankara fire tear gas and water cannons on thousands of demonstrators. (Al Jazeera)
- Hana Shalabi ends her 43-day hunger strike and is exiled to the Gaza Strip. (BBC)
- Sten Tolgfors resigns as Swedish Minister for Defence due to allegations that he knew about plans to assist Saudi Arabia build a weapons plant. (Reuters)
- Iranian-born Israeli politican Shaul Mofaz is elected as leader of the Kadima party and Israel's leader of opposition. (''Haaretz'')
- George Galloway of the Respect Party wins the United Kingdom House of Commons constituency of Bradford West in a by-election. (BBC)
- The UK government says that viaspan, a solution used to preserve some donor organs, could be contaminated with bacteria after routine tests detected ''Bacillus cereus'' in the solution used to test the sterility of viaspan. (BBC)
- Stuart Lancaster is named permanent England rugby union head coach after signing a four-year contract. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 29 March 2012 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?