Friday 29 December 1972
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Me And Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul.
In UK My Ding-A-Ling by Chuck Berry was in the top 5 hits.
Cries & Whispers, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1972.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 December 1972!
Which were the important events of 29 December 1972 ?
- The fourth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Thomas Becket (optional memorial)
- Jessica Lee: McMinn; Miss North Carolina USA (1996).
- Randy Neal: NFL linebacker (Cincinnati Bengals).
- Melissa Hall: Miss USA-Minnesota (1997).
- Malcolm Seabron: NFL wide receiver (Houston Oilers).
- Jude Law: English actor, producer, and director.
- Asheru : American rapper and producer
- Jason Kreis: American soccer player and manager
- Leonor Varela: Chilean-American model and actress
- Mickaël Gérard: French footballer, who played as a right winger for Calais from 1995 to 2002.
- Fritz Behrend: Composer, dies at 83.
- Life magazine ceases publication.
- Eastern Tristar Jumbo Jet crashes near Florida Everglades killing 101.
- An Eastern Air Lines Flight 401 (a Lockheed Tristar) crashes on approach to Miami International Airport, Florida, killing 101.
- Eastern Air Lines Flight 401 crashes into the Everglades in Florida, killing 101 of 176 on board.
- Roberto Clemente dies in a plane crash off the coast of Puerto Rico while en route to deliver aid to Nicaraguan earthquake victims.
- An extra leap second (23:59:60) is added to end the year.
- The US ban on the pesticide DDT takes effect.
- The ''International Year of the Book'' is designated by UNESCO.
- The last major epidemic of smallpox in Europe breaks out in Yugoslavia.
- The United Kingdom begin to train Special Air Service for anti-terrorist duties.
- The first women are admitted to Dartmouth College.
- Colombian looters find Ciudad Perdida but keep it a secret until the government reveals it in 1975.
- The Yellow River dries up for the first time in known history.
- Worship of Norse gods is officially approved in Iceland.
- The Climatic Research Unit is founded by climatologist Hubert Lamb at the University of East Anglia.
- The Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia bans the cultural organization Matica hrvatska, founded in 1842.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Billy Paul - Me And Mrs. Jones
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Clair
- Al Green - You Ought To Be With Me
- Carly Simon - You're So Vain
- Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California
- Donna Fargo - Funny Face
- Helen Reddy - I Am Woman
- Johnny Rivers - Rockin' Pneumonia - Boogie Woogie Flu
- Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
- Kenny Loggins - Your Mama Don't Dance
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Chuck Berry - My Ding-A-Ling
- The New Seekers - I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony)
- The Osmonds - Crazy Horses
- Neil Reid - Mother Of Mine
- Little Jimmy Osmond - Long Haired Lover From Liverpool
- Benny Hill - Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)
- Slade - GudBuy T'Jane
- Congregation - Softly Whispering I Love You
- Donny Osmond - Why
- Middle Of The Road - Soley Soley
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?