Saturday 31 December 1938
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Dawn Patrol, directed by Edmund Goulding, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1938.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 1938!
Which were the important events of 31 December 1938 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
- Berkant : Turkish singer-songwriter (d. 2012).
- Atje Keulen-Deelstra: Holland, Netherlands -- Speed skater (world champ).
- Henricus G Wijmans: Dutch graphic artist.
- Rosalind Cash in Atlantic City: New Jersey, USA; actress (Omega Man, Wrong is Right).
- Rosalind Cash: American actress, leading lady of the '70s on film, stage and TV.
- John Curley: American journalist and CEO of Gannet, a media corporation. Curley has a BA in Political Science, a BA in English and an MS in Journalism and is an avid runner to stay in shape.
- Richard N Roland Holst: Dutch artist/painter, dies at age 70.
- The 8th International Conference of American States issues the Declaration of Lima, that the American countries agree to stand united against any threat.
- US President Franklin Roosevelt issues a proclamation that the government will continue to purchase domestically mined silver for 64.64 cents per ounce until June 30. (Current world price of silver is 43 cents.)
- Dr. Charles Greeley Abbot, secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, receives a US patent for a "solar distilling apparatus", which uses concentrated Sun's rays to heat contaminated water to boiling, then the water vapor is collected.
- Herbert Lehman is sworn in as Governor of New York State for fourth four-year term.
- Dr R N Harger's "drunkometer", first breath test, introduced in Indiana, USA.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1938 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- They Say - Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
- You're A Sweet Little Headache - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (Vocal Martha Tilton)
- Thanks for Everything - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?