Monday July 01, 1946
US date format: 7/1/1946, UK date format: 1/7/1946
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on July 1, 1946). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Clement Attlee (Labour), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Catherine Weinzaepflen and Jean-Paul Bret.
Canyon Passage, directed by Jacques Tourneur, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
On TV people were watching Face to Face.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of July 01, 1946?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- See more
- Rajah cedes Sarawak to British crown
- US drops atom bomb on Bikini atoll (4th atomic explosion).
- Nuclear testing: Operation Crossroads, a series of nuclear weapon tests conducted by the United States at Bikini Atoll in Micronesia, is initiated by detonation of ''Able'' at an altitude of 520ampnbspfeet (158ampnbspm).
- Ankara University is founded in Turkey.
- See more
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial