Tuesday 1 May 1956
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 1956). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Catherine Frot and Byron Stewart in Baxter Springs.
In UK No Other Love by Ronnie Hilton was in the top 5 hits.
Good-bye, My Lady, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Bay Window Bohemia by Oscar Lewis was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Lui e lei.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1956
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1956 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Catherine Frot: French theatre and film actress, daughter of an engineer and a mathematics teacher.
- Byron Stewart in Baxter Springs: Kansas, USA; actor (Warren Coolidge - St Elsewhere).
- Phil Foglio: American cartoonist and comic book artist.
- Frank Szymanski: German educator and politician.
- The polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk is made available to the public.
- A doctor in Japan reports an ''epidemic of an unknown disease of the central nervous system'', marking the official discovery of Minamata disease.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?