Wednesday 1 September 1954
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bernard Birsinger and Gabor Ormai.
In UK Three Coins In The Fountain by Frank Sinatra was in the top 5 hits.
Journey to Italy, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Toi et moi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 September 1954
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1954!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1954 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Bernard Birsinger
- Gabor Ormai: Viola Player.
- Richard Burden: English politician.
- Dave Lumley: Canadian ice hockey player.
- Hurricane Carol strikes Long Island / New England, kills 68
- Ted Kluszewski is 1st Cin Red to hit 40 HRs en route to 49
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1954 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?