Friday 2 June 1989
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Freddy Adu and Draegast .
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rock On by Michael Damian.
In UK Hand On Your Heart by Kylie Minogue was in the top 5 hits.
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, directed by William Shatner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while While My Pretty One Sleeps by Mary Higgins Clark was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Absolutely.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing AmeriDarts or Emerald Dragon.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 June 1989!
Which were the important events of 2 June 1989 ?
- Italy's Festa della Repubblica (Republic Day), which commemorates the birth of the Repubblica Italiana and the end of the monarchy.
- Shavuoth (Judaism) (2006).
- Xenia name day in Slovakia.
- The Greek Orthodox Church commemorates Saint Nicephorus' death - see also March 13.
- Freddy Adu: Ghanaian-born American soccer player.
- Draegast : YouTube Star.
- Willy Moon: Rock Singer.
- Steve Smith: Cricket Player.
- Michael Dunigan: American basketball player.
- Steven Smith: Australian international cricketer
- Ted a'Beckett: Australian cricketer and lawyer (d. 1989).
- Dead Poets Society starring Robin Williams, premieres
- 10,000 Chinese soldiers are blocked by 100,000 citizens protecting students demonstrating for democracy in Tiananmen Square, Beijing
- 14 year old Scott Isaacs spells spoliator to win 1989 Spelling Bee
- Rolling Stones' Bill Wyman marries Mandy Smith.
- Fourteen-year old Scott Isaacs spells "spoliator" to win US National Spelling Bee.
- Cincinnati Reds player Eric Davis hits for the cycle.
- Sōsuke Uno succeeds Noboru Takeshita as Prime Minister of Japan.
- The Ayatollah Khomeini dies in Iran.
- Fighting breaks out in the Uzbek Soviet Socialist Republic between ethnic Uzbeks and the Turkish minority more than 100 people are dead by June 15.
- The SkyDome (now known as Rogers Centre) is opened in Toronto.
- The Tiananmen Square massacre takes place in Beijing on the army's approach to the square, and the final stand-off in the square is covered live on television.
- Solidarity's victory in Polish elections is the first of many anti-communist revolutions in Central and Eastern Europe in 1989.
- Ufa train disaster: A natural gas explosion near Ufa, Russia kills 645 as 2 trains passing each other throw sparks near a leaky pipeline.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 2 June 1989
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Michael Damian - Rock On
- Donny Osmond - Soldier Of Love
- Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
- Guns N' Roses - Patience
- New Kids On The Block - I'll Be Loving You (Forever)
- Bobby Brown - Every Little Step
- Jody Watley - Real Love
- Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
- Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
- Lita Ford - Close My Eyes Forever
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?