Friday 2 November 1917
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Durward Knowles and Richard Fleming.
El apóstol, directed by Quirino Cristiani, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 November 1917!
Which were the important events of 2 November 1917 ?
- Catholicism - All Souls Day (unless on a Sunday)
- Rastafari movement - The coronation of Haile Selassie (1930) celebrated
- USA - admission day (1889) of North Dakota and South Dakota as 39th and 40th states.
- Ancient Latvia - Dveselu Diena held
- Mexico and the United States - Day of the Dead (Spanish: El Dia de los Muertos), a Mexican and Mexican-American celebration of dead ancestors.
- Durward Knowles: England, United Kingdom -- Yachtsman (1968 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Richard Fleming: St Paul Military man.
- Ann Rutherford: Toronto, Ontario -- TV panelist (Leave It To the Girls).
- 1st US soldiers killed in combat in WWI
- The Balfour Declaration proclaims British support for the ''establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people'' with the clear understanding ''that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities''.
- WWI: Battle of Passchendaele: After 3 months of fierce fighting, Canadian forces take Passchendaele in Belgium.
- Militants from Trotsky's committee join with trusty Bolshevik soldiers to seize government buildings and pounce on members of the provisional government.
- (N.S.) (October 25 O.S.) ndash Great October Socialist Revolution: The workers of the Petrograd Soviet in Russia, led by the Bolshevik Party and leader Vladimir Lenin, storm the Winter Palace and successfully destroy the Kerensky Provisional Government, resulting in the first overthrow of capitalism in history.
- Iran (which has provided weapons for Russia) refuses to support the Allied Forces after the October Revolution.
- WWI: Third Battle of Gaza: United Kingdom forces capture Gaza from the Ottoman Empire.
- In the United States, a ampquotNight of Terrorampquot results in the injury of several influential suffragettes.
- The Parliament of Finland again declares itself holder of sovereignty, effectively dissolving the 108-year-old union with Russia.
- Georges Clemenceau becomes prime minister of France.
- WWI: Action of 17 November 1917: United States Navy destroyers USS ''Fanning'' and USS ''Nicholson'' capture Imperial German Navy U-boat SM ''U-58'' off the south-west coast of Ireland, the first combat action in which U.S. ships take a submarine (which is then scuttled).
- The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals is founded in the United Kingdom.
- The Ukraine is declared a republic.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 2 November 1917
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1917 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Lily of the Valley - Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan
- Musical Sam from Alabam' - Peerless Quartet
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?