Monday 4 June 1917
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Charles Collingwood and Allen Greenwood.
A Romance of the Redwoods, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while The Red Planet by William J. Locke was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 June 1917!
Which were the important events of 4 June 1917 ?
- Feast day of St Francis Caracciolo.
- Feast day of Saint Petrock of Cornwall.
- United States - Pentecost in 2006
- Hong Kong - Tiananmen Square Protest of 1989 memorial day.
- Finland - National flag day of the Finnish Defence Forces (on Mannerheim's birthday).
- Tonga - National Day.
- International Innocent Child Abuse Victim Day.
- Allen Greenwood: Deputy CEO (British Aerospace).
- Charles Collingwood: Michigan, United States -- News commentator (CBS, Chronicles).
- Robert Merrill Brooklyn: New York, baritone (New York Metropolitan Opera).
- Bernard Citroën: French businessman, son of André Citroën.
- Howard Metzenbaum: American lawyer, politician, u.s.
- Robert Merrill: American operatic baritone and actor, who was also active in the musical theatre circuit.
- American men begin registering for the draft
- Order of British Empire inaugurated
- The first Pulitzer Prizes are awarded: Laura E. Richards, Maude H. Elliott, and Florence Hall receive the first Pulitzer for biography (for Julia Ward Howe). Jean Jules Jusserand receives the first Pulitzer for history for his work With Americans of Past and Present Days. Herbert B. Swope receives the first Pulitzer for journalism for his work for the New York World.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1917 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- For Me and My Gal - Prince's Orchestra
- Poor Butterfly - Fritz Kreisler
- Livery Stable Blues - Original Dixieland Jazz Band
- Poor Butterfly - Charles Harrison
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?