Friday 1 June 1917
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include William S Knowles and William Knowles.
A Romance of the Redwoods, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while The Red Planet by William J. Locke was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1917!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1917 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- William S Knowles: American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate.
- William Knowles: American chemist and academic Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2012).
- Hank Gowdy is 1st baseball player to enlist during WWI
- A French infantry regiment seizes Missy-aux-Bois and declares an anti-war military government. Other French army troops soon apprehend them.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1917 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- John McCormack - The Star-Spangled Banner
- America - Louis Gravieure
- I'se Gwine Back to Dixie - Alma Gluck
- For Me and My Gal - Van & Schenck
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?