Thursday June 04, 1942
US date format: 6/4/1942, UK date format: 4/6/1942
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini (see birth chart on June 4, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Gérard Trèves and Louis Reichardt.
The Phantom Plainsmen, directed by John English, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of June 04, 1942?
- Feast day of St Francis Caracciolo.
- Feast day of Saint Petrock of Cornwall.
- United States - Pentecost in 2006
- Hong Kong - Tiananmen Square Protest of 1989 memorial day.
- See more
- USS Yorktown sinks near Midway Island
- Capitol Record Company opens for business.
- World War II: The Battle of Midway begins. Japanese Admiral Chuichi Nagumo orders a strike on Midway Island by much of the Imperial Japanese navy.
- (1700 hours) Near Midway Island, an American aerial attack by planes from the Enterprise and Yorktown against Japanese carrier Hiryu leaves it badly damaged.
- See more
- Reinhard Heydrich dies of his wounds from an assassination attempt Adolf Hitler appoints Karl Herman: and demands the execution of 10,000...