Monday 5 May 1941
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 5, 1941). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include George Will and Nickolas Ashford.
Blood and Sand, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1941
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 5 May 1941
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1941 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Nickolas Ashford: Musician.
- George Will: Journalist.
- Aleksandr Ragulin: USSR -- Ice hockey play (1964, 68, 72 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Howie Komives NBA star (New York Knicks: Buffalo Braves).
- Stanley Cowell: American jazz musician, pianist, composer, and keyboard player.
- Natalija Obrenovic: Queen of Serbia (Born 1859).
- Pulitzer prize awarded to Robert E Sherwood (There shall be no night)
- Emperor Haile Selassie returns to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; the country commemorates the date as Liberation Day or Patriots' Victory Day.