Thursday August 09, 1945
US date format: 8/9/1945, UK date format: 9/8/1945
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 9, 1945). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Clement Attlee (Labour), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Aleksandr Gorelik and Jonelle Arien.
Divorce, directed by William Nigh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 09, 1945?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- See more
- US drops 2nd atomic bomb Fat Man on Japan destroys part of Nagasaki
- (1102 hours) An American plane drops a plutonium-atomic bomb over the Urakami suburb of Nagasaki, Japan, off-target by three miles. Estimated dead are 38-70,000.
- World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- See more
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 09, 1945?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra - Good, Good, Good (That's You-That's You)
- Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra - On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe