Monday February 09, 1942
US date format: 2/9/1942, UK date format: 9/2/1942
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius (see birth chart on February 9, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Halley's Comet and Carole King.
The Mad Doctor of Market Street, directed by Joseph H. Lewis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
On TV people were watching Men at Work.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of February 09, 1942?
- Saint Apollonia, patron saint of dentists and dental technicians
- Saint Ansbert of Rouen
- Saint Maroon's Day - Lebanon
- Philadelphia "Phillies" change nickname (temporarily) to "Phils".
- Japanese troops land near Makassar, South Celebes.
- World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
- In New York harbor, the USS Lafayette (formerly Normandie) is accidentally ignited by a welding torch during conversion for troopship use. While fighting the fire, too much water poured into the ship capsizes it, setting it on its side in the harbor.
- See more
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial