Sunday February 01, 1942
US date format: 2/1/1942, UK date format: 1/2/1942
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius (see birth chart on February 1, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Terry Jones and Bibi Besch.
Ride 'Em Cowboy, directed by Arthur Lubin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
On TV people were watching Men at Work.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of February 01, 1942?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- See more
- World War II: U.S. Navy conducts Marshalls-Gilberts raids, the first offensive action by the United States against Japanese forces in the Pacific Theater.
- Voice of America, the official external radio and television service of the United States federal government, begins broadcasting with programs aimed at areas controlled by the Axis powers.
- WWII: The Command staff of the Eighth Air Force reaches England!-- becomes active in the European Theater of Operations, but won't fly missions until July 4th, 1942 using borrowed British planes ---
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial