Thursday 9 October 1947
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include William E McAnulty and France Gall.
Nightmare Alley, directed by Edmund Goulding, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
while Gentleman's Agreement by Laura Z. Hobson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kukla, Fran and Ollie.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 October 1947!
Which were the important events of 9 October 1947 ?
- William E McAnulty: Jr.
- France Gall: French and international popular "yé-yé" singer, daughter of Robert Gall, songwriter, and Cécile (whose father was Paul Berthier, co-founder of "Les Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois").
- Sally Chisholm: American musician, violist for the Pro Arte Quartet, founder of the award-winning Thouvenal Quartet and professor of viola.
- Noel Van Tygem: .
- John Doubleday: English sculptor and painter.
- William McAnulty: American lawyer and judge (d. 2007)
- Tony Zappone: American photographer and journalist
- High Button Shoes opens at Century Theater NYC for 727 performances
- 1st telephone conversation between a moving car and a plane
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Near You - Elliot Lawrence & His Orchestra
- An Apple Blossom Wedding - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra (Vocal Don Cornell)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?