Wednesday 1 October 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on October 1, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Mariska Veres and Stephen Collins.
Green Dolphin Street, directed by Victor Saville, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Kukla, Fran and Ollie.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 October 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1947!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1947 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Mariska Veres: Dutch singer (Shocking Blue) (Born 1947).
- Stephen Collins: American actor singer and director.
- Kate Fitzpatrick: Australian actress on both stage and screen, including TV shows and films.
- Vincent Burroni
- Dave Arneson: American game designer co-created Dungeons & Dragons (d. 2009).
- 2017 Las Vegas Strip shooting
- Daniel Hamiche
- Nevill Drury: English-Australian journalist and publisher (d. 2013).
- Marc Bolan: Musician.
- Martin Turner: English singer-songwriter and bass player (Wishbone Ash and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash).
- Adriano Tilgher: Italian politician.
- Rob Davis: Rocker.
- Stephen Collins in Des Moines: Iowa, USA; actor (Star Trek - The Motion Picture, The Tattingers).
- Massimo Buscemi: Italian actor who made his debut in 1976 in the film "Lettomania.
- Aaron Ciechanover: Israeli biologist, who won the Nobel prize in Chemistry for characterizing the method that cells use to degrade and recycle proteins using ubiquitin.
- Dalveer Bhandari: Indian lawyer and judge.
- Buzz Capra: American baseball player and coach.
- 1st helicopter air mail and express service, Los Angeles, California
- US control of Haitian customs and governmental revenue ends.
- NHL Pension Society founded.
- First helicopter air mail and express service, Los Angeles, California.
- The F-86 Sabre flies for the first time.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Near You - Elliot Lawrence & His Orchestra
- An Apple Blossom Wedding - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra (Vocal Don Cornell)