Wednesday 29 June 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon, directed by Michael Bay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Vic & Bob's Afternoon Delights.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing AFL or Another Century's Episode Portable.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 June 2011!
Which were the important events of 29 June 2011 ?
- The Netherlands - Veterans Day.
- Feast of Saints Peter and Paul (also a local holiday in Rome, of which they are patron saints)
- Seychelles - Independence Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 June
- Arab Spring:
- 2011 Egyptian revolution:
- At least 66 people are injured in violent clashes between protesters and security forces in Cairo's Tahrir Square. (McClatchy via ''Sacramento Bee'')
- Protesters demand the resignation of the head of the military council General Mohamed Hussein Tantawi and interior minister Mansour Essawi over the violence blamed on police, the worst the country has seen in weeks since the toppling of the Hosni Mubarak-led regime. (BBC)
- 2011 Libyan civil war: The French military reports France air-dropped weapons to anti-regime Berber rebels trying to bring down Muammar Gaddafi in the west's Nafusa Mountains in early June. ''Le Figaro'' suggests rocket launchers and anti-tank missiles were among the weapons dropped. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Syrian uprising: At least 4 people are killed by government troops in the northwestern province of Idlib. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Bahraini uprising: King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa orders an independent investigation into the protests. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Omani protests: A court jails 13 people who had demanded better jobs in protests in the city of Sohar. (''The Times of India'')
- Freedom Flotilla II: The international flotilla sets sail one year after the deadly raid on a previous flotilla by Israeli commandos in international waters of the Mediterranean Sea. (''The Globe and Mail'')
- Greek protests against government cuts:
- Barriers, batons and tear gas are in use as hundreds of riot police engage with demonstrators around the Greek parliament building over the government cuts. (''The Guardian'')
- BBC correspondent in Athens calls riot police response brutal and of the kind that would not be tolerated in other European nations, as police threw stones and pieces of marble at the protesters and even threw tear gas inside a metro station. (BBC)
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) expresses concern about thousands of Chadian people, mainly women, children and the elderly, stranded on dangerous territory on the border between Chad and Libya. (IOM)
- Research by Brown University finds the U.S. wars on Iraq and Afghanistan are expected to cost at least $3.2 trillion, and maybe as much as $4.4 trillion, higher than previously expected. (Al Jazeera)
- Pope Benedict XVI launches a new Vatican website, (AFP via ''Herald-Sun'')
- The Greek parliament votes in favor of austerity measures to deal with the country's economic crisis global markets rise as a result. (Al Jazeera)
- Approximately 750,000 workers in the United Kingdom commence strike action over pension reform plans. (Sky News)
- The Alderney Gambling Control Commission suspends Full Tilt Poker's gaming license prior to a hearing over an indictment by the United States Department of Justice. (''Las Vegas Review Journal)
- The death toll from a tropical storm kills 22 people in Vietnam. (''The Straits Times'')
- 18 children - 15 girls and 3 boys - are killed when lightning strikes a primary school in Masindi in the Western Region of Uganda. (''Uganda Monitor'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?