Sunday 16 March 1947
It was Sunday, under the sign of Pisces (see planets position on March 16, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Candie Reed and Denis Merville.
Carnival in Costa Rica, directed by Gregory Ratoff, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Muffin the Mule.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 March 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 1947!
Which were the important events of 16 March 1947 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
- Candie Reed: American artist, known for her impressionistic landscapes.
- Denis Merville
- James Sladky: American ice skater, won the championship for Ice Dance with partner Judy Schwomeyer.
- Thomas G Morton
- Philippe Bouchard: French physician, an endocrinologist.
- Trevor Hartley: English footballer and manager.
- Thomas Morton: Brazilian psychokinetic, capable of many feats similar to Uri Geller and more, said to be able to transfer matter and make perfumes appear out of nowhere, feats that have been videotaped.
- Ramzan Paskayev: Kazakh accordion player and composer.
- Baek Yoon-sik: South Korean actor.
- Convair Liner, first US twin-engine pressurized airplane, tested.