Wednesday 16 April 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Steven Lewis.
Odd Man Out, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Juvenile Jury.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 April 1947!
Which were the important events of 16 April 1947 ?
- Saint Paternus
- Saint Bernadette
- Blessed HervT of Tours
- Saint Turibius
- Saint Fructuosus
- Saint Drogo.
- Saint Benedict Joseph Labre
- Mawlid in Shi'a Islam (2006).
- Birthday of the Danish sovereign, Queen Margrethe, celebrated in Greenland.
- Saints Martial, Urban, Eventius, Caecilian, Julia, and their companions, martyrs of 304
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: American basketball star and collegiate champion who made his professional start with the Milwaukee Braves in 1969.
- Steven Lewis: American photographer, teacher, and historian.
- Gerry Rafferty: Scottish musician, a folk and pop singer, guitarist and songwriter.
- Rudolf Hoss: commandant of the Auschwitz concentration camp (Born 1900).
- Lens to provide zoom effects demonstrated (New York City, New York).
- Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- Bernard Baruch coins the term ''Cold War'' to describe the relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 April 1947
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Roses in the Rain - Frankie Carle & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?