Wednesday 16 September 1908
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Beecher Moore and Jacobus "Ko" van de Bosch.
Gans-Nelson Fight, directed by Joe Gans, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
while The Shuttle by Frances Hodgson Burnett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1908!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1908 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Beecher Moore: Sailor.
- Jacobus "Ko" van de Bosch: Actor / cabaret performer / director (Nemo).
- James "Jimmy" Johnson: English Labor MP (1950-59, 64-83).
- Carriage-maker, William Durant, founded General Motors Corp
- William Crapo Durant incorporates General Motors in Janesville Wisc
- The General Motors Corporation is founded.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1908 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- I've Taken Quite a Fancy to You - Ada Jones & Billy Murray
- Cuddle Up a Little Closer, Lovey Mine - Ada Jones & Billy Murray
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?