Thursday 16 September 1926
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include John Knowles and Tommy "Butch" Bond.
Dog Gone, directed by Mark Stouffer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 September 1926
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1926!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1926 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- John Knowles: US writer (Morning in Antibes).
- Tommy "Butch" Bond: Actor (Butch-Our Gang).
- Takao Tanabe: Canadian painter.
- Tommy Bond: American actor, best known for his work as a child actor for two different nonconsecutive periods on "Our Gang" ("Little Rascals") comedies (first as "Tommy" and later as "Butch").
- Lee Kuan Yew: Prime Minister of Singapore.
- Rogers McKee: American baseball player (d. 2014).
- Robert Schuller: American pastor and author (d. 2015).
- Eric Gross: Austrian-Australian pianist and composer (d. 2011).
- Rudolf C Eucken: German philosopher (Nobel 1908), dies at 80.
- Italian-Romanian peace treaty signed
- St. Louis Cardinals beat Phillies 23-3
- Philip Dunning and George Abbott's play ''Broadway'' premieres in New York City.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1926 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Al Jolson - When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob-Bob-Bobbin' Along
- Only You and Lonely Me - Ben Selvin & His Orchestra
- Valencia (A Song of Spain) - Revelers
- Mountain Greenery - Roger Wolfe Kahn & His Orchestra
- Where'd You Get Thoes Eyes? - Ted Lewis & His Band