Saturday 17 March 1917, St. Patrick's Day
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Arthur Basil and Brian Boydell.
Chi no ike jigôkû, directed by Yaroku Kobayashi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while The Light in the Clearing by Irving Bacheller was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1917!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1917 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Arthur Basil: Cotle medievalist.
- Brian Boydell: composer.
- Charles Fontenay: Brazilian writer, a novelist and writer of sci-fi and space-opera, such as "The Strangest Man in the Universe.
- Takis Sinopoulos: Greek poet and critic (d. 1981).
- Franz Brentano: German philosopher and psychologist.
- N.S.) (March 4, O.S.) ampndash Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich of Russia refuses the throne, and power passes to the newly formed Provisional Government under Prince Georgy Lvov.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1917 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Yaddie Kaddie Kiddie Kaddie Koo - Van & Schenck
- What Do You Want to Make Those Eyes at Me For? - Ada Jones & Billy Murray
- Hawaii and You - James F. Harrison & James Reed
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?