Monday 21 June 1948
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joey Malland and Luc Guyau.
Romance on the High Seas, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while Dinner at Antoine's by Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching At Liberty Club.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 June 1948!
Which were the important events of 21 June 1948 ?
- Joey Malland: Liverpool, England -- Rock guitarist (Badfinger-Come & Get It).
- Luc Guyau: French farmer who was the Independent Chairperson of the Food and Agriculture (FAO) Council from 2009 to 2013.
- Philippe Hersant: French composer who studied at the Conservatoire national supérieur de musique, Paris.
- Ian McEwan: British writer, published from 1975 with a book of short stories, "First Love Last Rites" which achieved immediate recognition and acclaim.
- Juan Oliver: American a gay former Episcopal priest, writer who was HIV positive.
- Philippe Sarde: American musician and composer of over 120 scores for U.S. and international films. A graduate of the Paris Conservatory, he began scoring films in the late '60s and developed into France's most prolific screen composer. His amazing rate of film compositions, to a diverse field, has earned him several Cesar awards and an Oscar nomination for "Tess" in 1979. Some of his noted U.S. films include, "The Bear," "Ghost Story," "Tess," "Lord of the Flies," "Liza," "Lovesick," "The Manhattan Project" an
- Jovan Aćimović: Serbian footballer and manager
- Lionel Rose: Australian boxer and singer (d. 2011)
- Andrzej Sapkowski: Polish author and translator
- 1st stored computer program run, on Manchester Mark I
- 33 1 / 3 RPM LP record introduced (DR Peter Goldmark-Columbia Records)
- Lord Mountbatten resigns as Governor-General of India
- Rhodes conference on Israeli-Arab war opens
- WNAC (now KNEV) TV channel 7 in Boston, MA (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Columbia Records introduces the long-playing record album in a public demonstration at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.
- The Deutsche Mark becomes official currency of the future Federal Republic of Germany.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?