Friday 23 April 1943US date format: 4/23/1943, UK date format: 23/4/1943
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on April 23, 1943). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hervé Villechaize and Tony Esposito.
A Stranger in Town, directed by Roy Rowland, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 April 1943
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1943!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1943 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Hervé Villechaize: French-American actor (d. 1993).
- Tony Esposito: Canadian hockey player with the NHL.
- Gail Goodrich: American basketball player and coach.
- Carmen von Thyssen: Barcelona, Spain -- Baroness.
- Hugh Davies: Composer.
- Tony Esposito in Ontario: Canada; NHL goalie (Chicago Blackhawks).
- Herve Villechaize: French actor (d. 1993).
- Louise Gluck: Poet.
- Johnnie Casson: English comedian.
- Frans Koppelaar: Dutch painter.
- Delano Meriwether: American runner and physician.
- Gert-Jan Dröge: Dutch television presenter, producer, actor, journalist and writer who mainly became known from his society programme "Glamourland" on AVRO television.
- Janet Evanovich: Writer.
- [Gerardus] Bob van Toll: Actor / interpreter / director (Pastorale 1943).
- British and US offensive directed at Tunis / Bizerta