Monday 23 August 1943
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bobby Diamond in Los Angeles and Dale Campbell-Savours.
Watch on the Rhine, directed by Herman Shumlin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1943!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1943 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Bobby Diamond in Los Angeles: California, USA; actor (Duncan Gillis - Dobie Gillis).
- Dale Campbell-Savours: Baron Campbell-Savours English businessman and politician.
- Nelson DeMille: American lieutenant and author.
- Peter Lilley: English politician Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills.
- Pino Presti: Italian bass player composer conductor and producer.
- Johann P Zilcher: German composer, dies at 88.
- Red army recaptures Charkow
- World War II: Kharkov liberated.
- The Battle of Kursk ends with a serious strategic defeat for the German forces.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?