Sunday 23 April 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include David Birney in Washington DC and William Hagerty.
Union Pacific, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1939!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1939 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- David Birney in Washington DC: USA; actor (Brigette Loves Bernie, St. Elsewhere).
- William Hagerty: Editor (People).
- Lee Majors [Harvey Lee Yearly] in Wyandotte: Michigan, USA; TV actor (Big Valley, The Six Million Dollar Man, Fall Guy).
- Ray Peterson in Denton: Texas, USA; singer ("Tell Laura I Love Her").
- Lee Majors: American actor who is most known for his years of stardom in the TV series "Six Million Dollar Man.
- Jean-Michel Rivat: French songwriter, composer and singer.
- Jorge Fons: Mexican director and screenwriter
- Bill Hagerty: English journalist
- Ray Peterson: American singer (Born 1935)
- Boston Red Sox Ted Williams hits his 1st HR
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 April 1939
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?