Sunday 23 April 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on April 23, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Lee Majors and Stanislaw Wielgus.
Juarez, directed by William Dieterle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 April 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1939!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1939 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Lee Majors: American actor who is most known for his years of stardom in the TV series "Six Million Dollar Man.
- Stanislaw Wielgus
- William Hagerty: Editor (People).
- Lee Majors [Harvey Lee Yearly] in Wyandotte: Michigan, USA; TV actor (Big Valley, The Six Million Dollar Man, Fall Guy).
- Ray Peterson in Denton: Texas, USA; singer ("Tell Laura I Love Her").
- John Chilcot: Public Servant.
- Jorge Fons: Mexican director and screenwriter.
- Bill Hagerty: English journalist.
- Ray Peterson: American singer (Born 1935).
- Jean-Michel Rivat: French songwriter, composer and singer.
- David Birney in Washington DC: USA; actor (Brigette Loves Bernie, St. Elsewhere).
- Boston Red Sox Ted Williams hits his 1st HR