Sunday 26 December 2010
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
TRON: Legacy, directed by Joseph Kosinski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Pinheads And Patriots by Bill O'Reilly was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Newsline.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1 or Ace Combat: Joint Assault.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 2010!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 26 December 2010 ?
- First day of Kwanzaa
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 26 December
- Jos attacks:
- Further violence breaks out in the Nigerian city of Jos following bombings earlier this week. (BBC)
- President of Nigeria Goodluck Jonathan says his government will ampquottake all necessary actionampquot to punish the perpetrators of the deadly bombings in Jos. (Al Jazeera)
- Four Turkish workers are kidnapped in eastern Afghanistan. (AFP)
- Somali pirates seize a Thai-flagged ship off the coast of Somalia. (CNN)
- Israeli forces kill 2 Palestinian militants of the al-Quds Brigades of the Islamic Jihad who were planting an explosive device to be used against an Israeli patrol near the border in the southern Gaza Strip. (Ynet)
- A police curfew continues for a seventh day in the village of Inderkoot in Bandipora district, Kashmir, ampquotas a precautionary measureampquot, but is lifted from Sumbal. (''The Times of India'')
- Protests against unemployment grow more violent as Tunisian security forces crack down on the residents in Sidi Bou Zid Governorate and a teenager is killed when police open fire. (Ahram Online)
- Eight people are killed and 21 injured after a bus crash in Egypt. (''Hindustan Times'')
- A collision between a bus and a mini-truck kills 34 people and leaves 30 injured, near the town of Badaun in Uttar Pradesh state, in northern India. (AP via Google News)
- Waves of cold in Jammu and Kashmir show no signs of relenting, though the minimum temperature improves. (''The Hindu'')
- The eastern United States is struck by more snow, with South Carolina receiving its first ever snow on Christmas Day. (BBC)
- China and South Korea are to hold defence talks following tension on the Korean Peninsula. (BBC)
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Israel) announces that it will boycott Durban III (World Conference against Racism), the 2011 United Nations summit commemorating the tenth anniversary of the World Conference against Racism 2001, due to the conference's ampquotanti-Semitic undertones and displays of hatred for Israel and the Jewish world,ampquot a day after the UN General Assembly approved a resolution, by a vote of 104 to 22, with 33 abstentions, to hold the summit in September 2011 Canada has
- The first humanitarian Asian flotilla, ''Asia to Gaza Solidarity Caravan of Asia 1'', which left New Delhi with people of 15 differing nationalities aboard, leaves Damascus for Latakia, its final stop before it reaches its destination. (''Tehran Times'')
- Thousands of people shouting ampquotdeath to Israelampquot gather at Sarayburnu port in Istanbul to welcome back the MV ''Mavi Marmara'', draped with a banner containing faces of the 9 people killed during the Gaza flotilla raid. (Arutz Sheva)
- Industry, Trade and Labour Minister of Israel Binyamin Ben-Eliezer responds to Ecuador's formal recognition of Palestine as an independent state by saying that the ampquotentire worldampquot could recognise a Palestinian state in the next year. (AFP via Google News)
- United States diplomatic cables leak:
- Newly released cables from July 2004 reveal that American diplomats panicked about a screening of the film ''Fahrenheit 9/11'', which is critical of the U.S. government's response to the September 11 attacks. Diplomats stopped what they called a ampquotpotential fiascoampquot by intervening and contacting the offices of the New Zealand prime minister and Marian Hobbs, a government minister referred to as ampquotBoo Booampquot Hobbs by America. '-role-in-film-screening (Radio New Zealand
- A Saudi woman, accused of attacking and torturing her Indonesian maid last month in a case that strained Saudi-Indonesia relations, now denies the charges, claiming that the maid tortured herself because she was “not normal.” (Asia One)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2010 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 26 December 2010
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Anderlecht - Lierse : 6 - 0
- Cercle Brugge - Standard : 1 - 0
- Gent - Club Brugge : 0 - 2
ChampionshipFootball (United Kingdom)
- Barnsley - Burnley : 1 - 2
- Cardiff - Coventry : 2 - 0
- Leicester - Leeds : 2 - 2
- Portsmouth - Millwall : 1 - 1
Division 1Football (United Kingdom)
- Partick - Raith Rvs : 0 - 0
Division 2Football (United Kingdom)
- Alloa - Livingston : 2 - 2
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?