Tuesday 31 August 2010
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
The King's Speech, directed by Tom Hooper, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching JonTron.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Azkend or Brothers in Arms 2: Global Front.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 31 August 2010 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 August
- Laurent Fignon: French athlete, a cyclist who twice won the Tour de France (1983 and 1984).
- A roadside bomb and mortar attack in the Somali capital Mogadishu kill at least 14 people and injure several others. (Al Jazeera)
- 8 people are killed in a petrol bomb attack at a bar in Cancún, Mexico. (APA)
- 4 Israelis are shot to death in an attack in the West Bank next to Kiryat Arba. (BBC)
- A roadside bomb kills 4 United States troops in eastern Afghanistan. (AP via MSNBC)
- An explosion occurs outside the head office of a government-run television station in Bangkok, Thailand. (Xinhua)
- 3 Russian aircrew kidnapped in Sudan's Darfur region are released. (RIA Novosti)
- The Sudan People's Liberation Army pledges to demobilise all of its child soldiers by the end of the year. (BBC)
- Hewlett-Packard (HP), the world's largest computer maker based in the U.S. state of California, pays US$55 million amid allegations it defrauded the United States government. (BBC)
- Floodwaters continue to wreak havoc in Pakistan, affecting areas near Larkana. (''DAWN'')
- Four people die following a Cessna Citation crash on Misima Island in Papua New Guinea's Milne Bay Province. (ABC Online)
- The Russian embassy in the Belarussian capital Minsk is attacked with firebombs Russia says the incident is ampquotoutrageousampquot. (Reuters)
- Iran's foreign ministry criticises state media for branding French first lady Carla Bruni as a ampquotprostituteampquot over her support for Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani who faces death by stoning after being convicted of adultery. (AP)
- Following an Israeli-course on editing Wikipedia to further a national agenda, a Palestinian group initiates a plan to establish its view on the encyclopaedia.
- The Danish-based Kurdish TV station Roj TV faces terror charges for supporting PKK. (Denmark.DK)
- Mexican authorities arrest top drug trafficker Edgar Valdez Villarreal. (''The Guardian'')
- A Chinese court accepts its first case relating to a man claiming job discrimination on the grounds he had HIV. (AFP)
- Russian police detain more than 150 people including prominent opponents of Prime Minister of Russia Vladimir Putin such as former Deputy Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov, following protests in Moscow and Saint Petersberg in support of freedom of assembly. (''The Moscow Times'')
- President of the United States Barack Obama delivers a televised Oval Office address to the United States commemorating the end of United States armed forces being directly involved in fighting in Iraq. (''New York Times'')
- The South African government improves a pay offer to more than a million striking public sector workers in an attempt to end the two week long strike. (CNN)
- US Senator Lisa Murkowski concedes defeat in the Alaskan Republican primary election to challenger to Joe Miller.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 31 August 2010
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?