Friday 1 October 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Elvira's Movie Macabre.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead or Crisis in the Gulf.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 2010!
Which were the important events of 1 October 2010 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 October
- Ian Buxton: English footballer and cricketer (Born 1938).
- Rahm Emanuel resigns as US Chief of Staff.
- In Abuja, two car bombs explode during Nigeria's 50th anniversary celebrations of its Independence from the British Empire, killing 12 and injuring 17. Militant rebel group MEND claims responsibility. (BBC)
- Prominent video journalist Merajuddin is hospitalised in Srinagar after being severely beaten with a baton in his neck by Kashmir police. They also beat up his son and colleague in the latest police attack on the media there. (BBC)
- Following the killing of 3 Pakistani soldiers by NATO, tankers carrying supplies for NATO troops based in Afghanistan are set alight in Shikarpur, Sindh, injuring no one. (Al Jazeera)
- 6 sailors taken hostage off the coast of Cameroon on September 12 by the Africa Marine Commando are released. (BBC)
- American author Jonathan Franzen advises British fans to cease reading his latest novel ''Freedom'' as a printing error has led to the publication of an old draft of his text, with thousands of copies set to be pulped. (''The Guardian'')
- Sky 3D, the first dedicated 3D TV channel in Europe, launches in the UK. (''The Independent'')
- BMW announces the international recall of hundreds of thousands of luxury cars. (BBC)
- American Bob Dudley succeeds Tony Hayward as the new CEO of BP after the recent controversies over the Oil Spill crisis in the Deepwater Horizon. (AP via Google News)
- A massive rainstorm, formed from the combination of the remnants of Tropical Storm Nicole and a second extratropical low, drenches the East Coast of the United States from North Carolina to Maine. (AP via WMBF)
- The United Nations publishes a toned down version of its report into war crimes said to have occurred in the Democratic Republic of the Congo during the 1990s after Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi rejected the report's findings. (AFP via ''The Straits Times'')
- North Korea and South Korea agree to restart a family reunion program for families separated in the Korean War. (AFP via Google News)
- Nobel peace laureate Mairead Maguire is to be deported from Israel within 48 hours after her appeal to overturn her entry refusal was rejected. (BBC)
- Nigerian police free 15 schoolchildren kidnapped by an armed gang. (Al Jazeera)
- Politicians in Iceland flee from their own people as they protest on the streets of Reykjavík. (''The Guardian'')
- Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf launches a new political party - the All Pakistan Muslim League - in London. (BBC)
- Thailand lifts a state of emergency in Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen and Udon Thani but it remains in place in Bangkok and the nearby provinces of Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan. (Thai News Agency)
- President of the United States Barack Obama calls a press conference in the White House to make a ampquotpersonnel announcementampquot reported to be related to the departure of his aide Rahm Emanuel. (BBC)
- The 2010 Ig Nobel Prizes are announced. (AP via ''The New Zealand Herald'')
- The discovery of ''Inkayacu'', an extinct genus of prehistoric penguin that lived in the Late Eocene period, is announced. (''The New York Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?