Friday 15 October 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 October 2010!
Which were the important events of 15 October 2010 ?
- United States - White Cane Safety Day, National Grouch Day, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day
- R.C. Saints - Saint Teresa of Avila
- Roman festivals - the Equirria or October equus: sacrifice of a horse to Mars
- French Republican Calendar - Amaryllis (Amaryllis) Day, twenty-fourth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 15 October
- United Nations envoy Margot Wallström says Congolese government troops may have committed rape and murder in the Democratic Republic of the Congo weeks after similar attacks by rebels. (BBC)
- Gunmen abduct British and local Save the Children aid workers from a compound in western Somalia. (AP via ''Wall Street Journal'')
- A United States Army soldier from 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team is to face a court martial on murder and other charges related to the deaths of civilians in Afghanistan. (CNN)
- MPs called for a ampquotwide-ranging and independent inquiryampquot after G4S agents restrain and suffocate Jimmy Mubenga during his deportation from England. (''The Guardian'')
- A museum in Berlin opens an exhibition on Adolf Hitler and his relationship with the German people, the first museum in Germany to do so. (BBC)
- US rapper T.I. is sentenced to eleven months in prison for violating the terms of his parole. (''The Atlanta Journal-Constitution'')
- Canton Fair opens, China's largest trade fair and a key barometer of its trade and economic development. (''China Daily'')
- United Kingdom consumer goods company Reckitt Benckiser agrees to pay a fine of £10.2m for abusing its market position for Gaviscon in the United Kingdom. (BBC)
- The Gotthard Base Tunnel, in the Swiss Alps becomes the world's longest railway tunnel, as final breakthrough occurs on the east bore. (''Washington Post'')
- The Nicaraguan Health Ministry reported nine new deaths of leptospirosis in Leon department, to make a total of 17 deaths due to this disease. (People Daily)
- Miners in Chile rescued from the 2010 Copiapó mining accident return home after receiving hospital treatment. (Reuters)
- The Ajkai Timföldgyár alumina plant in Ajka, Veszprém County, in western Hungary is set to reopen following the accident earlier this month as the death toll reaches nine. (Deutsche Welle)
- Four miners are trapped underground in southern Ecuador. (CNN)
- United Nations Security Council:
- The Council votes to extend the mandate for the mission to Darfur as South Sudan prepares for a referendum on self-determination China abstains. (''Winnipeg Free Press'')
- Anti-UN protesters in Haiti blockade the United Nations military headquarters in Port-au-Prince a day after the Council extended the mandate of the Stabilisation Mission in Haiti. (Al Jazeera)
- An arms embargo, and financial and travel sanctions are extended on Côte d'Ivoire for a further six months. (Reuters)
- Israel unveils preliminary plans for 238 new homes for Jewish settlers in East Jerusalem with Palestineans protesting in response. (Reuters)
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wraps up a controversial visit to Lebanon (''The Australian'')
- 18-year old Andrew Conley is sentenced to life imprisonment without the possiblity of parole in Ohio, USA.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?