Thursday 2 August 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Hope Springs, directed by David Frankel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Darker by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 2 August 2012 ?
- St. Etheldritha/Alfrida
- St. Alphonsus Mary de Ligouri
- St. Stephen
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 4 saints: St. Peter Julian Eymard
- Feast day of Ilya the Prophet in Russian Orthodox Church
- Bulgaria/Republic of Macedonia - Ilinden (St. Ilya Day), a day of remembrance of the Ilinden Uprising
- Costa Rica - Our Lady of the Angels
- Day of airborne forces in Russia
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 August
- Syrian Civil War:
- A United States government source reveals that Barack Obama signed a secret order in early 2012 permitting the CIA and other U.S. agencies to provide the rebels in Syria with support in order to overthrow the al-Assad regime. (''The Guardian'')
- Kofi Annan resigns as the head of the U.N.-Arab League peace envoy for Syria, according to Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon. (CNN)
- War in Afghanistan:
- Afghan security forces kill five insurgents planning a suicide attack in Kabul. (AFP via Google News)
- Two dozen Taliban fighters are killed in operations across Afghanistan during the last 24 hours. (Xinhua)
- At least 23 people are injured as two blasts hit a fruit market in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore. (Xinhua)
- French L'Oréal heiress Liliane Bettencourt sells D'Arros Island for $60 million. (BBC)
- Italian football club Inter Milan sells a 15% stake to a Chinese investor group. (BBC)
- Japanese media reports that electronics company Sharp Corporation plans to cut 5,000 positions worldwide. (AFP via France 24)
- Taiwan closes schools and offices ahead of Typhoon Saola. (''BusinessWeek'')
- One person dies and at least ten other people are seriously injured when a fully loaded double-decker Megabus crashes into a bridge support on Interstate 55 in Illinois, ten miles north of Litchfield. (NBC News)
- Tropical Storm Ernesto forms in the Atlantic Ocean with storm warnings issued for Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica, St. Lucia, Martinique, and Guadelope. (AP via the ''Washington Post'')
- 20 people are jailed in China on charges of terrorism in the Xinjiang region. (''The Hindu'')
- Peru seizes $2.3 million in counterfeit U.S. 50 dollar bills heading to other South American countries. (Reuters)
- Three men are arrested due to their alleged ties with al Qaeda in Spain. (''The New York Times'')
- The Constitutional Court of Romania postpones a decision regarding the impeachment referendum of suspended President Traian Băsescu until 31 August 2012, to allow time for the reevaluation of the permanent electoral lists. (''Financial Magazine'')
- Egypt's new cabinet members are sworn in. (CNN)
- Quebec premier Jean Charest calls a general election for September 2012 amidst student protests against tuition fee increases. (''Hamilton Spectator'')
- Russian President Vladimir Putin makes an unofficial visit to the London Olympics to watch the judo competition. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?