Saturday 4 August 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Freelancers, directed by Jessy Terrero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Darker by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 4 August 2012 ?
- Ancient Egypt - Jubilation of the Heart of Re
- El Salvador - Transfiguration Bank Holiday
- Cook Islands - Constitution Day (celebrations begin on the last Friday in July and last up to 2 weeks.)
- Burkina Faso - Anniversary of the Revolution
- St. Luanus/Lugid
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Saint John Vianney, the patron saint of priests
- St. Dominic
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 04 August
- Arab Spring:
- Syrian Civil War (2011–present):
- Clashes continue in Aleppo, with fighting near the city's television and radio station. (Al Jazeera)
- Renewed fighting erupts in the capital, Damascus. (MSN)
- Russia and Chinandashtwo of the 12 countries that opposed a United Nations General Assembly resolution concerning Syriandashcriticise the resolution as one-sided. (Al Jazeera)
- Nearly 48 Iranian pilgrims are kidnapped from a bus in the vicinity of a shrine near Damascus. (BBC)
- 2011–2012 Saudi Arabian protests:
- A soldier and protester are killed in a demonstration in the eastern city of Qatif. (Al Jazeera)
- Bahraini uprising (2011–present):
- The daughter of activist Abdulhadi al-Khawaja has her detention extended and is charged with ampquotdestroying government propertyampquot. (''The Huffington Post'')
- A suicide bombing in the southern Yemeni province of Abyan kills at least 45 people. (BBC)
- Gunmen attack an oil barge off the Niger Delta in Nigeria, killing two navy sailors and kidnapping four foreigners. (BBC)
- Iran claims to have successfully test fired a Fateh-110 missile. (Reuters via Yahoo! News)
- North Korea raises the death toll from recent floods to 169, with 400 missing. (IOL)
- Heavy rains in the Indian state of Uttarakhand causes the loss of at least six lives in floods and landslides. (''The Times of India'')
- Jailed Islamist cleric Abu Bakar Bashir threatens to wage war in Burma following alleged abuses by Buddhists against the country's Rohingya people by the Tatmadaw, in a letter to Burmese president Thein Sein. (''Bangkok Post'')
- Sudan confirms an oil agreement with neighbouring South Sudan. (Deutsche Welle)
- The defence lawyer for the Russian band Pussy Riot says the accused face long jail terms, and accuses the court of pressuring the defendants and witnesses. (Bangladesh News 24)
- The Parliament of Afghanistan votes to dismiss the Defence and Interior Ministers over continued cross-border shelling by Pakistan. (Reuters)
- 2012 Summer Olympics:
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 4 August 2012 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?