Sunday 26 August 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Darker by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 26 August 2012 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 26 August
- Seventeen villagers including two women in Afghanistan's southern Kajaki district are beheaded by unknown organised people. (AP via ''The Australian'')
- Thirty-six people are killed in a bus crash near Yan'an, Shaanxi province of China. (Reuters)
- Tropical Storm Isaac:
- The United States National Hurricane Center issues hurricane warnings for the states of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. A state of emergency is in effect in these four areas. (Fox News)
- Tropical Storm Isaac has so far caused 10 direct fatalities on Hispaniola and one indirect in Puerto Rico. (Fox News)
- A 7.4 magnitude earthquake occurs in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of El Salvador with tsunami warnings in place for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama and Mexico. (AP via Fox News)
- An outbreak of Legionellosis (''Legionnaires' disease'') in Quebec City, Canada, kills 8 people and infects 104. (CBC)
- Women in Togo announce that they will go on sex strike for a week, starting Monday, following the example of women in Liberia. (CNN)
- Several hundred earthquakes hit Southern California, with the largest one measuring 5.5 on the Richter magnitude scale near San Diego. (CNN)
- Heads of state meet at the 16th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement in Tehran, Iran, until August 31. (Radio Free Europe)
- Two Pussy Riot members, alleged to be the two participants in the band's Cathedral protest on February 21 who remain unarrested, ampquotleaveampquot Russia. (''The Guardian'')
- Libya Abdullah Al-Sha Mausoleum's destruction:
- The president of Libya's newly elected legislative congress, Mohamed Yousef el-Magariaf, calls the prime minister to an emergency meeting, after Saturday's bulldozing of the Sidi el-Sha'ab mausoleum in Tripoli by unnamed organized assailants. (''Wall Street Journal)''
- Libyan interior minister Fawzi Abdelali resigns after harsh criticism due to the Mausoleum attack. An aide says he resigned ampquotto defend the revolutionariesampquot. It becomes known that deputy PM Mustafa A.G. Abushagur on Saturday, referring to Friday's desecrations, sent a tweet saying ampquotI have asked the interior and defence ministers to intervene yesterday but did not do their duty to protect these sites.ampquot (Google Translate)
- 15-year-old amateur Lydia Ko of New Zealand wins the Canadian Women's Open, becoming the youngest ever winner on the LPGA Tour and the first amateur to win on that tour since JoAnne Carner in 1969. (''Vancouver Sun'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?