Wednesday 11 January 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Anne Heggtveigt .
Jesse James, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Television Surveys.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
You can also have a look at the whole 1939 or at January 11 across the years.
Have a look at the old newspapers from 11 January 1939 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 11 January 1939 ?
- Morocco - The Independence manifesto day.
- Japan - Kagami-Biraki (Rice Cakes Festival).
- Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.
- Roman Empire - First day of Carmentalia in honor of Carmenta.
- Nepal - Unity Day.
- Albania - Republic Day (1946).
See other famous people born on 11 January
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Subscribe to our Newsletter
What news were making the headlines those days in January 1939?
- Life: Romanian boy
- Time: Dr. Oscar Riddle of the Carnegie Institution's Station for Experimental Evolution, pituitary gland e
- Life: Woman wearing wimple
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
The Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Great Depression, a book that galvanized—and sometimes outraged—millions of readers. First published in 1939, Steinbeck’s Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Great Depression chronicles the Dust Bowl migration of the 1930s and tells the story ...
This number-one bestselling novel is based on the true story of one of the most notorious murder cases in French history. The heroine, Henriette Deluzy-Desportes, governess to the children of the Duc de Praslin, found herself strangely drawn to her ...
With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young ...
- A rediscovery. WICKFORD POINT follows "The Late George Apley as the second of Marquand's acclaimed and bestselling novels that Back Bay has restored to print.-
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Tell the world why 11 January 1939 is such a special date for you!