Wednesday 25 January 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Gunga Din, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 25 January 1939 ?
- St. Dwynwen's Day and Patron Saint of Lovers - Welsh celebration of love Dirwnod Santes Dwynwen.
- Tatiana Day, celebrated as the Day of Russian students since 1755, when the Moscow University was founded.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism - Conversion of Saint Paul.
- Christian ecumenism ? Week of Prayer for Christian Unity ends.
- Burns Night - Burns suppers are held in many parts of the world around this date. (Originated in Scotland)
- Winter-Een-Mas - celebration of videogames and the people that play them. Winter-een-mas lasts for a whole week, which is always the very last week in January, the 25th through the 31st.
- Roman Empire - second day of the Sementivae in honour of Ceres and Terra
- Giorgio Gaber: Italian actor and songwriter.
- Angela Thorne: British actress born in Karachi, India (now Pakistan), to a father who was often away from home with the Indian army.
- Gabriel Romanus: Swedish politician.
- Charles Davidson Dunbar: British military piper (Born 1870).
- Joe Louis knocks out John Henry Lewis in one round for heavyweight boxing title.
- Refik Saydam forms the new government of Turkey. (11 th government)
- Spanish Civil War: Spanish Nationalist troops, aided by Italy, take Barcelona.
- In Paris, French Foreign Minister Georges Bonnet, in response to rumours (which are true) that he is seeking to end the French alliance system in Eastern Europe, gives a speech highlighting his government's commitment to the ''cordon sanitaire''.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 25 January 1939 and get them!