Tuesday 15 September 1970
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Diana Ross.
In UK Tears Of A Clown by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles was in the top 5 hits.
Tristana, directed by Luis Buuel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1970.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1970!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1970 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Danny Ellis: Orlando, Florida -- Golfer (All-American 1990, 92, 93).
- Eric Garner: .
- Terence Tierney: American actor and poet, noted family, the son of actor Scott Brady and his wife Lisa.
- Ramya Krishnan: Indian actress.
- PLO leader Arafat threatens to make a cemetery of Jordan
- Rotterdam harbor strikes end
- Decca awards Bing Crosby a second platinum disc for selling 300 million.
- King Hussein of Jordan forms a military government with Muhammad Daoud as the prime minister.
- Jimi Hendrix dies in London of drug related complications.
- Black Sabbath releases its second album, ''Paranoid''
- Syrian armored forces cross the Jordanian border.
- ''Luna 16'' lands on the Moon and lifts off the next day with samples. It lands on Earth September 24.
- Palestinian armored forces reinforce Palestinian guerillas in Irbidi, Jordan.
- ''Monday Night Football'' debuts on ABC the Cleveland Browns defeat the New York Jets 31-21 in front of more than 85,000 fans at Cleveland Stadium.
- The International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) is founded.
- Tunku Abdul Rahman resigns as prime minister of Malaysia, and is succeeded by his deputy Tun Abdul Razak.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- Edwin Starr - War
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lookin' Out My Back Door
- Clarence Carter - Patches
- Bobby Sherman - Julie, Do Ya Love Me
- Chicago - 25 Or 6 To 4
- Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You
- Dawn - Candida
- Bread - Make It With You
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?