Tuesday 1 September 1970
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to War by Edwin Starr.
In UK The Wonder Of You by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Lovers and Other Strangers, directed by Cy Howard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1970.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1970!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1970 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Mitsou : Canadian singer, television and radio host, actress.
- Vanna : Croatian singer (Electro Team).
- David Fairleigh: Australian rugby player coach and sportscaster.
- Hwang Jung-min: South Korean actor and singer.
- Padma Lakshmi: Indian-American actress and author.
- Barbara Paulus: Vienna, Austria -- Tennis star
- Flora Perfetti: Faenza, Italy -- Tennis star
- Jodi Lambert: Australian 100m / 200m sprinter (1996 Olympics)
- Francois Mauriac: French writer, Nobel Prize laureate (b.
- Failed assassination attempt on Jordanian King Hussain
- Jose Velasco Ibarra re-elected President of Ecuador
- Attempted assassination of King Hussein of Jordan by Palestinian guerrillas, who attacked his motorcade.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Edwin Starr - War
- Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- Bread - Make It With You
- Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You
- Chicago - 25 Or 6 To 4
- Clarence Carter - Patches
- Ronnie Dyson - (If You Let Me Make Love To You Then) Why Can't I Touch You
- Eric Burdon and War - Spill The Wine
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lookin' Out My Back Door
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?