Friday 16 January 1942
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Woman of the Year, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while The Song of Bernadette by Franz Werfel was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1942!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1942 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Barbara Lynn [Ozen]: US singer ("You'll Lose a Good Thing"), dies.
- René Angélil: Canadian singer and manager (of Ginette Reno and then Dion's one) of Syrian and Lebanese descent, he married Céline Dion (his 3rd union) on 17 December 1994.
- William Francis: Rocker.
- Tony P Hall American politician (Representative-Democrat-Ohio: 1979-).
- Bill Francis in Mobile: Alabama, USA; rocker (Dr Hook).
- Rene Angelil: Canadian music executive
- Nicole Fontaine: French politician and Member of the European Parliament for the Île-de-France. She is a member of the Union for a Popular Movement, part of the European People's Party. Fontaine was the President of the European Parliament from 1999 to 2001, and was then replaced by Pat Cox, from the European Liberal, Democrat and Reform Party, in accordance with an agreement between the two groups at the start of the term.
- Richard Bohringer: French-Senegalese actor, singer, and poet, the father of actress Romane Bohringer. His films include "Diva" and "Subway". Married once.
- Barbara Lynn: American Country-Western singer raised appropriately in Texas. Lynn began writing songs as a young teenager and dreamed of being the female Elvis Presley. The left-hander taught herself to play the guitar, and by the time she graduated from Hebert High School in 1960, she had enough songs to release an album. Huey P. Meaux, a music entrepreneur, spotted her in a local club and helped launch her career.
- Ronald Ferguson: American acturary and CEO in charge of the reinsurance company of General Re. Ferguson, a compulsive educator, enjoys long distance running to stay in shape and has a BA in Mathematics, a BA in Economics and an MS in Acturarial Sciences.
- William Knudsen becomes first civilian appointed a General in US army.
- Crash of TWA Flight 3, killing all 22 aboard, including film star Carole Lombard.
- Actress Carole Lombard and her mother are among those killed in a plane crash near Las Vegas, Nevada, while returning from a tour to promote the sale of war bonds.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1942 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Shrine of St. Cecelia - Andrews Sisters
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 January 1942 and get them!